Staff shortages, widespread mismanagement and poor quality of care has caused medical negligence that has led to inmates dying in Connecticut’s prisons, even well after medical workers have been alerted of their illnesses.

Officials from the state paid $1.65 million to Karon Nealy’s family on July 8. Nealy, a Connecticut prison inmate, died from complications due to Lupus in July 2015.

Connecticut is the only U.S. State where its Department of Correction runs its prison medical systems. Lawyers have argued that a lack of staff and mismanagement of the system led to the deaths of Nealy, and other inmates. The three-year-long legal battle for the Nealy settlement ended with the Nealy Settlement.

In 2014, Nealy was convicted for attempted assault and violating an order protecting his family. He was sentenced to two years imprisonment. In September 2014, Nealy entered Manson Youth Institute in Cheshire. Records show that he looked healthy when he arrived at jail.

The records show that he later filed several complaints with medical staff and visited 11 times University of Connecticut (UConn), Health doctors and nurses.

Doctors discovered that he was suffering from hair loss, sore throat and rashes as well as severe joint pains, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, extreme joint pains, severe fatigue, and potentially dangerous blood conditions. Nearly all of his sick calls were treated with Motrin. This is a simple, over-the-counter anti-inflammatory drug that can be purchased in pharmacies.

Dr. Gerald Valletta was the MYI doctor at the time of Nealy’s death. He was due to see him in June 2015. Court documents reveal that nurses at the prison didn’t share Nealy’s complete chart. A healthy 19-year old man’s blood sedimentation rate should be between 0 to 15 millimeters an hour.

A blood test was taken by Newsweekshows Valletta. It revealed that Nealy’s blood sedimentation rate was 82, and was marked as high. Nealy’s cellmate informed a corrections officer nearly a month later that he needed immediate medical attention. Nealy was found in his cell with no control over his bladder or bowel, rapid pulse, and an altered mental state.

Also Read: Billie Eilish Admits She Is ‘Not Happy’ with Her Body, But Asks ‘Who Is?’

The teenager was taken to University of Connecticut Health Center June 25, and died 31 days later. He was to be released from prison in September.

The state lawyers claimed that Nealy’s medical staff had not detected any suspicious signs. However, the judge disagreed and said that his symptoms were consistent with a serious medical condition.